- Navy: Climate and Energy
- Climate, Climate Change, & Public Health
- Climate Disruption & Security
- Focus Areas
- User Area
CALL FOR PROPOSALS (GECS-2012): GLOBAL ENVIRONMENTAL CHANGE AND HUMAN SECURITY
CALL FOR PROPOSALS (GECS-2012):
GLOBAL ENVIRONMENTAL CHANGE AND HUMAN SECURITY:
The Need for a New vision for Science, Policy and Leadership
(Climate Change as an Opportunity)
- Date: November 22-23-24, 2012
- Abstract Submission Deadline: July 15, 2012
- Place: Marrakech, Morocco
GECS-2012 HOMEPAGE: http://www.nrcs-center.org/
- North-South Center for Social Sciences (NRCS), Morocco
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), Germany
- National Council for Climate Change, Sustainable Development and Leadership (NCCSD), India.
- Institute of Research for Development (IRD), France
The NRCS and the GIZ, along with numerous partners, have successfully organized the previous editions of the above conference respectively in 2009 and 2011 focusing on different, but related themes. This series of worldwide scientific meetings, organized in Morocco and involving a huge number of delegates representing more than 50 countries and 300 participants, is increasingly acknowledged as a distinguished multinational forum that provided an early focus on key "glocal" issues from an interdisciplinary/multidimensional approach and North-South / South-South perspectives. It is designed to: provide space for exchanging and sharing research outcomes and relevant experiences; contribute to the setting of future science and policy agendas; and explore necessary networking. The two editions gave birth to high quality publications with a worldwide relevance and a substantial set of inputs for decision-making processes at various levels (ex. Sustainable Agricultural Development, Springer / Global Food Insecurity, Springer / Climate change, Energy Crisis and Food Insecurity, Laval University Press).
In order to sustain the debate within the current context and dynamics, the organizers are pleased to launch the third edition with a focus on the theme: "Global environmental change and human security". This edition is expected to provide an update of the newest understanding of environmental change caused by current development models and schemes, human security implications of this change, and options available for different societies to respond to present and future challenges. Participants will consider how understandings and conceptions of security are being transformed in the face of global environmental change (with a focus on climate change), and how urgent a shift – in science, policy and leadership – is required to manage efficiently and prudently the current dynamics. The event will serve as a space to conceive this critically needed roadmap.
GECS-2012 KEY TOPICS
The conference, as a major knowledge consolidation initiative, is structured around three key themes and under each of these a number of session topics are listed. We would like to invite proposals (panels, roundtables, sessions, presentations, etc.) that address these topics:
- Key Theme 1: Global Environmental Change and Human Security: Identification of Challenges, Impacts, and Vulnerability
- Key Theme 2: Global Environmental Change and Human Security: Identification of Dynamics, Adaptation, and Mitigation Options
- Key Theme 3: Global Environmental Change and Human Security: Features of a New Vision
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This edition is expected to engage a broad range of audiences (scholars from all relevant disciplines, key experts and practitioners, policy makers, development agencies, business, civil society actors, etc.) eager to share their current research and project results, focusing on science, policy and leadership with regard to environmental change and human security.
A training workshop on behalf of interested delegates will be organized just after the conference days. The training call for applications is currently being prepared and will be launched shortly. Participants interested in this activity are required to express their interest and to register as soon as possible given the limited number of applications to be selected. This training will be animated by distinguished scholars from USA, Canada and India who are well-known in their respective fields and have served as experts in many international organizations. Please keep visiting this page for more updates about this opportunity: http://cms.nrcs.webnode.com/scientific-events/gecs-2012/training-workshop/
For any inquiry regarding the event and the training, please contact:
- The GECS-2012 Secretariat: firstname.lastname@example.org
- GECS-2012 Chair: Dr. Mohamed Behnassi, Associate Prof. of Global Politics and Governance, Faculty of Law, Economics and Social Sciences, Ibn Zohr University of Agadir (Morocco), Head of NRCS. email@example.com, Mobile:+212-668-466447
Thank you in Advance for sharing this call for proposals with all parties who may be interested to take part in this event.
We look forward to your attendance and active participation in GECS-2012 !
Mohamed Behnassi, PhD
Associate Prof. of Global Politics and Governance
Faculty of Law, Economics and Social Sciences,
Ibn Zohr University of Agadir (Morocco)
Director of the North-South Center
for Social Sciences (NRCS)